A Working Garbage Disposal Could Save the Holidays
Many people around the world have been waiting for this year to come and go. Well, the end of the year is almost here, and the holidays are just around the corner. Now is the time to start pulling out those family-favorite holiday recipes and shopping early for ingredients. Now is the time to prepare the house for guests that will be coming to visit. Now is the time to check in on kitchen appliances, like the garbage disposal, to make sure they can handle the holiday meals.
The Purpose of a Garbage Disposal
Many houses have a garbage disposal in the kitchen, but what exactly does it do? The garbage disposal is located directly underneath the sink drain. Its job is to collect food waste that falls down the drain and temporarily store it in a chamber. Then it grinds up the food waste, breaks it into smaller pieces, and sends it onward through the pipes.
If homeowners are planning on having extra guests spend the day or the night at their homes over the holiday season, they need to make sure the garbage disposal is prepared to handle that extra work. The last thing homeowners want to deal with when guests are over is a broken garbage disposal, leading to a sink clog and causing water to back up into the sink. Not the most appetizing sight to see!
When To Replace the Garbage Disposal
If homeowners are wondering how to tell if the garbage disposal needs to be replaced, here are a few signs to pay attention to:
- Nasty smells: It’s not uncommon for garbage disposals to smell temporarily. They are collecting food waste, after all! However, if the smell doesn’t go away, there could be food particles stuck in the crevices of the device. This requires some thorough cleaning.
- Strange noises: Of course, the garbage disposal will make noise when it’s turned on. But if there is a loud screeching noise instead of the usual grinding noise, it could be a sign that the motor is wearing out and needs to be replaced.
- Reset button: The reset button is there for homeowners to use, but it shouldn’t be used frequently. If homeowners notice themselves pressing the reset button once a week or more, there is something wrong with the unit. There may be insufficient wiring or normal wear and tear, but it likely needs to be replaced.
Tips for Preventing Garbage Disposal Problems
Garbage disposals are pretty durable, but they aren’t invincible. Homeowners still need to use caution when putting things down the sink drain.
- Drain cleaners: Never use drain cleaners on the garbage disposal. These products are filled with harsh chemicals that could damage the device.
- Hot water: Never use hot water when the garbage disposal is on. Running cold water is best for preventing grease and oils from solidifying in the garbage disposal chamber and the rest of the plumbing pipes.
- Citrusy foods: Always try to eliminate bad smells naturally. Homeowners can try grinding up an orange peel or a lemon peel to eliminate foul odors from the garbage disposal naturally.
Proper care and maintenance of the garbage disposal are essential for keeping the unit functional over the holidays.
About The Plumbing Dr.
Over the years, The Plumbing Dr. has maintained a dedication to exceptional service and keeping their customers’ needs at the forefront. They are a team of professionals with the experience and passion for delivering quality work no matter the problem. Contact them today for garbage disposal service in Falls Church, VA!